The Cancer Warriors

Home / Diary / The Cancer Warriors

Okay, so now my blood is up. I’ve been trying to get some rest after the most intense year of my life, but some things just require a girl to blog. Rant. Shout. Petition. Mobilise. Incite. Send out a rallying cry for some semblance of sanity to prevail when it comes to alternative healing for people living with cancer.

Within a few weeks of my own diagnosis I became aware of the restrictions, prohibitions and sheer censorship of alternative cancer treatments. In order to access these treatments you need to join an underground movement of cancer warriors who share vital information and help each other navigate a network of brave arse-on-the-line practitioners, including qualified doctors and nurses, who are engaged in covert operations to save lives.

Much as I would love to disclose copious details of this network to all the cancer peeps who read my blog it would be unwise for me to do so. But I can tell you this:

• I own a Rife machine* (banned by the FDA in the USA but shipped to me from that country), which uses resonant sound to break down tumours and destroy cancer-feeding parasites.
  • I have mega-dose Vitamin C infusions – a well regarded cancer treatment in other countries that is essentially prohibited (or at least seriously frowned upon) in the UK because it isn’t approved by NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) – at least once a month in a London clinic.
  • I regularly receive two other illegal remedies I prefer not to name, both of which are natural and administered legally in other countries that recognise their efficacy. One of these is supplied to me by a qualified nurse and the other prescribed to me by an oncologist abroad.

*Royal Rife was using this technology to cure cancer in Germany in the 1950s, but his laboratory was razed to the ground (‘by whom?’ you might well ask) and he was witch hunted as a ‘quack’ until he lost his mind.

So what’s got my blood up enough to write this blog on New Year’s Day?

Ten months after travelling as far as Mexico for hyperthermia, which uses heat to attack tumours and boost the immune system (as happens when you get a fever), I was delighted to find two clinics offering this treatment on my door step in the UK. It has been a long search, despite the fact that this has been standard treatment for cancer in countries like Germany for over thirty years.

No sooner had I checked out their credentials with other cancer patients, who were extremely positive about their experience, than I heard they had both been shut down by the CQC (Care Quality Commission) citing ‘poor management’. Reasonable as it may sound, this nebulous explanation is simply code for ‘we-don’t-control-this-so-you-can’t-have-it’ to us more seasoned cancer peeps. We just roll our collective eyeballs as another one bites the dust.

The next thing to outrage me was this: a fellow cancer blogger called Fiona Shakeela Burns, who used natural methods to cure herself after being given a few months to live – and who happens to be a medicinal herbalist – recently received a call from Trading Standards instructing her to take down her blog about her personal story because it is “not allowed”.

I repeat. The blog she has written about how she healed her own cancer naturally (an outcome ascribed to “spontaneous recovery” by her bewildered oncologist) is not allowed.

Not. Allowed.

Seriously. I am this close to speechless. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! It’s insane. Barking. Nutty-nut-nut. Do-bloody-lally. I would laugh it is wasn’t so tragic. People are dying. Many unnecessarily. And Trading Standards wants to deny them a bona fide story of hope? It would beggar belief if we couldn’t make cold, depressing sense of it:

Firstly, there is the 1939 Cancer Act to contend with. With the exception of radioactivity and ionizing radiation this Act prohibited advertisements or publications that “offer to treat any person for cancer, and to prescribe any remedy therefor, or to give any advice in connection with the treatment thereof.” As of December 2014 this is the sole remaining provision of the Act and, because of it, fines and prosecutions for blogs like Fiona’s still take place. Which gets my revolutionary goat.

Secondly, conventional cut-it, burn-it, poison-it cancer treatment is a multi-billion dollar industry and that is a multi-billion reasons not to cure this devastating disease. Furthermore, you cannot patent herbs, heat or vitamins – which is exactly what Big Pharma are now pushing for because even they recognise the healing power of nutrients and natural substances.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not advocating the purely natural approach or joining the anti-pharmaceutical brigade, which tends to see evil stalking the halls of the whole industry. That is neither my position nor my point. I have always adopted an integrated approach, combining low dose targeted chemo and selective use of radiation (to a tumour threatening to paralyse me) with a variety of other drugs and natural treatments. I don’t think the stand-off between these paradigms is helpful to cancer sufferers and firmly believe in the power of collaborative dialogue over self-righteous advocacy in just about any disagreement I can think of.

However, what I do object to – fiercely, deeply and judiciously – is the obscuration of valid treatments or real examples of recovery that offer hope to the hopeless and healing to the desperately sick.

I object to the closure of clinics offering an effective heat therapy with no serious side effects when radiation therapy has been causing secondary cancers, and significantly increasing the death toll, for decades.

I object to high doses of vitamin C being withheld on the basis they might be harmful when one of the most harmful toxins known to man, chemotherapy, is administered as a matter of course.

It. Makes. No. Sense.

I object to drug companies paying people to look for and block information about how to actually heal cancer (yes it happens).

Having hyperthermia in Mexico
Having hyperthermia in Mexico

I object to the unnecessary and unjustifiable censorship of someone brave, caring and generous enough to share her personal story of healing with the world.

I object to needing to travel abroad, at significant expense after I had to stop working, to receive the infusions, vaccines, metabolic protocols and immunotherapy treatments that have undoubtedly extended my life, as well as improving its quality, since I was diagnosed.

I object to the staggering lengths some people have to go to, not least the parents of children with cancer, to access potentially life-saving treatments.

Most of all I object to the calculated, patronising, largely inexcusable and ultimately fatal shrinkage of our options when we need them most.

So, if you share my objections or have had similar restrictive experiences as cancer patients, please comment below. Perhaps, if there is enough of a ground swell, I might shout louder and more publicly. I might do more than whine about it on my blog. I might start yelling from the rooftops. I might start kicking up a right royal stink.

∗∗∗

P.S. Since Fiona is still waiting for a formal letter telling her to take the blog down, I am sharing it now in solidarity for as long as the link is live: Cancer-U-Can

You may also want to read this moving blog by a fellow cancer warrior about the “medical tourists” who make their way to Mexico because they can’t find the treatments they need at home: A month in a Mexican cancer clinic

And if you are up for signing a petition to repeal The Cancer Act you can do so here. It needs a much bigger ground swell of support: Cancer Act petition

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Comments(23)

• Gill Fell
    3rd Apr 2016, 6:41 pm  Reply

This information is so important, and your article is incredibly balanced and eloquent. I completely agree, and I don’t know where to start with doing something about it! Thanks goodness the info is available on the Internet for those who are open-minded enough to look for it. Most people I know completely dismiss alternative and complementary therapies, but I have seen them work many times!

• 14th Jan 2016, 3:30 pm  Reply

I agree totally with your comments. I used black salve to remove several breast tumours, and posted about my experience on FB, with a few photos – it was shared a few hundred times, then FB deleted it saying that it may encourage people to self harm! I also posted a comment on breastcancer.org, no photos -they refused to post it, banned me from the site and threatened me with legal action!

• Amanda marshall
    4th Jan 2016, 8:48 pm  Reply

I am sick and tired of being scoffed at by the medical profession for trying alternative approaches from basic things like a clean diet to off patent drugs. It feels like they want me to die when they say I should. Well I won’t. Blogs like this are so important – keeping the information and support flowing. Cancer can be such an isolating place.

• Amanda Marshall
    4th Jan 2016, 8:43 pm  Reply

I am sick and tired of being scoffed at by the medical profession for trying alternatives from as simple things as a clean diet to off patent drugs and bio resonance in a bid to survive to see my daughter at least get through school. I feel that they, the oncology team, want me to neatly fit into their prognosis statistics, and not upset their apple cart. Well I won’t – keep up the fight!

• Kate Brightwell
    4th Jan 2016, 9:01 am  Reply

Is it similarly banned from OTHER People who aren’t offering anything telling her story. If enough other people put up her story on their websites and FB pages it would drown out the official bans

• June walker
    3rd Jan 2016, 3:58 pm  Reply

Please keep shouting. I will continue to direct people to your book and your story to allow people to be outraged at closing down the alternative treatments.

• ellen sizer-james
    3rd Jan 2016, 1:22 pm  Reply

The ‘profit before people’paradigm seems so ingrained in the financially higher echrlons of global activity. Flood prevention, corporate tax avoidance, attacking the welfare of society’s most vulnerable, the arms trafe. Mainstream media’s dividesign us with attempts to blame and marginalise. Medical approaches to cancer reflect this with only mainstream approaches and information given credenc

• Wendy
    3rd Jan 2016, 10:13 am  Reply

We not only have to fight the cancer, we have to fight the people that are voted in to help us and the pharmaceuticals battling to hold onto their monopoly. In numbers, we have strength! ;o)

• Sally
    3rd Jan 2016, 6:56 am  Reply

I so agree with everything written here. I hoped my oncologist would be interested in alternative ways to support my body through intensive ChemoRadiation treatments but she wouldn’t even look at the IV Vitamin C research & advised not to take anything other than the hospital prescribed. I was however offered a “trial” of 2 other chemotherapy drugs prior to commencing the standard ChemoRadiation!

• Ruth Clark
    3rd Jan 2016, 1:34 am  Reply

After 6 sessions of chemo and two years of “maintenance chemo” I got an all clear from my oncologist. So I asked her “What next?” It was with no signs of feelings at all that she said “oh, it will come back, maybe in 5 years, maybe less”. I think she was counting the money in her head. That’s what put me on this path. I’ve found it so disgusting. To have treatments that work kept from us.

• Anne McCabe
    3rd Jan 2016, 12:03 am  Reply

wholehearted support for shouting loudly. I’ve had surgery, chemo, hormone and radiotherapy for breast cancer diagnosed Sept 14 and now am addressing diet, microbiome, and stress issues. Along the way I’ve become tired of the flippant rejection of complementary, diet, and mental well being approaches that have proven worth. The profit motive seems to play a shocking role

• Carol Carter
    2nd Jan 2016, 11:21 pm  Reply

Hi Sophie, I had grade 3 bowel cancer nearly 7 years ago. My prognosis wasn’t good. I had one lot of chemo, the line kept coming out and the liquid would go over my skin (an absolute no no). I didn’t have any more.
    I got a book from Dulwich Health called Cancer – the full menu. It talks about what to do to stop the body environment helping the growth of the cancer. I found it a great.

• 2nd Jan 2016, 11:02 pm  Reply

Sophie, the systematic removal of choice in cancer treatments by a corporate-driven profit agenda over the last 75 years or so is a travesty, an assault on our right to choose how to heal our own bodies from disease. I share your position of wanting the broadest possible choice for patients and would hope that a public once made aware would demand this.

• Lindajoy
    2nd Jan 2016, 10:41 pm  Reply

I too am shocked by how easy it is to access toxic treatments, how difficult to access gentler ones. Only people with money have the choice.

• Kathy Finholm
    2nd Jan 2016, 9:56 pm  Reply

I am a friend of your parents, whom I see each year in Mexico. I have followed your blog, downloaded your book, and always look for updates from you. You have NAILED it … sadly, most of this comes down to money … profit for pharmaceutical companies and money in medical “professional’s” pockets. Shameful, egregious practice and yet, it continues. And what happened to free speech?

• Andrea
    2nd Jan 2016, 9:55 pm  Reply

Fantastic blog Sophie – as someone with cancer I want to look at all my options and give myself the best chance possible. I am finding the whole thing a mine field and can’t believe how closed minded conventional doctors are. There are so many alternatives out there why aren’t they readily available? WhYdo I have to seek them out with difficultly – as if I haven’t got enough on my plate already.

• Karyn
    2nd Jan 2016, 9:51 pm  Reply

Thanks Sophie, I don’t understand it either. I haven’t told my oncologist about any of the alternative therapies I am doing. I ‘m doing the best I can to stay alive for as long as I can, I wish it were easier, i wish it could be accepted! I find it hard to believe that there is a conspiracy to keep us in the dark. I want to maintain my trust. But it’s all very hard.

• fran
    2nd Jan 2016, 9:10 pm  Reply

Sophie, I too have cancer & wholeheartedly share with your frustration & outrage regarding the significant blocks to accessing an integrated approach in this country. My right to make informed choices about my treatment is profoundly compromised.

• Prue
    2nd Jan 2016, 8:45 pm  Reply

Shout it from the rooftops sophie/ I’m totally behind you and will support you in any way I can xx

• Caroline Rowland
    2nd Jan 2016, 7:30 pm  Reply

Hi
    I am a fellow cancer sufferer (stage 4 stomach) I am in total agreement with you. We need the freedom to explore the alternatives. It’s appalling that Fiona has been told to remove her blog. We need to hear stories like hers which give real hope

• Jo Price
    2nd Jan 2016, 6:15 pm  Reply

Sophie, I don’t have cancer but have some very personal experiences that have touched my life in huge life changing ways. After suffering from ‘cancer-phobia’ for some time now, your blog is the only one that makes me feel mentally strong – strong enough to ask the right questions, demand the right treatment, and keep my wits about me if the worst should ever happen. Please shout as loud as you ca

• Catherine
    2nd Jan 2016, 4:03 pm  Reply

Brave insightful writing thank God and as usual . There has to be a way of transforming the insidious bullying into a collective desire for all the HOPE to be aired and shared loudly . Bravo dear friend to all who are in despair and kept in terror . Catherine

• 2nd Jan 2016, 2:49 pm  Reply

Sophie, your powerful words continue to ring true. While I don’t have cancer, I do have Lyme disease and the medical & insurance powers-that-be are pulling the same kind of abhorrent, controlling stunts that only hurt the very ill human beings who are trying their hardest to get comprehensive iinformation & treatment. Advocacy, REAL education & awareness like you are providing has to continue !